21 December 2016
With summer already underway, this is a great healthy meal option that is bursting with flavour. The perfect Sunday lunch to share with your friends and family.
I like to use a variety of heirloom tomatoes for the toast to pile high while also giving some dimension. The shiso adds a bit more of an aromatic vibe, but if it's not available where you are basil or thai basil is great substitute.
- 1 cup soaked raw macadamia nuts, drained and rinsed
- 1½ tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons white mellow miso paste
- 2 small cloves garlic
- 8-10 tablespoons filtered water
- ¼ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 6-8 slices whole grain gluten-free bread (or bread of choice), toasted
- ½ pound tomatoes (see notes), sliced with 1/4" thickness
- ½ cup macadamia ricotta
- ¼ cup julienned shiso
- a few pinches black lava salt (or large grain sea salt)
- Drain and rinse the macadamia nuts and place in an upright high-speed blender with nutritional yeast, vinegar, lemon juice, miso, garlic, 8 tablespoons of water, and salt.
- Blend on high for 1 minute, scraping down the sides of the blender and adding water a tablespoon at a time, until you reach a fluffy creamy consistency.
- Taste and adjust salt, vinegar, or lemon as necessary.
- Transfer ricotta to a bowl and cover with cling wrap.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Remove macadamia ricotta from the fridge and set aside.
- Top toasted bread with macadamia ricotta, sliced tomatoes, julienned shiso, and a few pinches of black salt.
- Cut the toast in half and serve.